The misconception that artists can’t write is well and truly disproved by the slew of new books on creative arts teaching and research that have been released recently. They include authors who are current and former contributors to NiTRO editions. For those wishing to stock up their libraries, 2017 and late 2016 books include:
- The Routledge Research Companion to Popular Music Education. Edited by Gareth Dylan Smith, Zack Moir, Matt Brennan, Shara Rambarran, and Phil Kirkman. Routledge, 2017.
- Visual Arts Practice and Affect: Place, Materiality and Embodied Knowing by Ann Schilo, Susanna Castleden, Thea Costantino, Anna Nazzari and Anna Sabadini. Rowman and Littlefield International, 2016
- Vicke Lindstrand On the Periphery: Mid-Twentieth Century Design and the Reception of Vicke Lindstrand. By Mark Ian Jones
- Adelaide’s Jubilee International Exhibition 1887 -1888, The Event, the Building, the Legacy, Edited by Christine Garnaut, Julie Collins, & Bridget Jolly. Darlinghurst, NSW: Crossing Press, 2016
- Knowledge, Creativity and Failure: A New Pedagogical Framework for Creative Arts By Chris Hay. Springer
- Higher Education and the Creative Economy: Beyond the Campus. By Roberta Comunian and Abigail Gilmore. Routledge.
- Practice-based Design Research. An edited collection by Laurene, Vaughan. Bloomsbury Publishing, 2017
- Discourse and Disjuncture between the Arts and Higher Education. An edited collection by Jessica Hoffman Davis. Springer
- Music’s Immanent Future: The Deleuzian Turn in Music Studies. An edited collection by Sally Macarthur, Judy Lochhead, and Jennifer Shaw. Routledge, 2016.
- Perspectives on Artistic Research in Music: Lexington Books. Edited collection by Rob Burke and Andrys Onsman, Lexington Books. 2017
- Somebody Else’s Problem: Consumerism, Sustainability and Design by Robert Crocker. London: Greenleaf, 2016
- Everyday Blended Reality Living in the Here and Now by John Waterworth & Kei Hoshi. Springer, 2016
- Creative Collaborations through Inclusive Theatre and Community Based Learning by Lisa. A. Kramer & Judy Freedman Fask. Palgrave Macmillan US. 2017
- Cultural Policy, Innovation and the Creative Economy: Creative Collaborations in Arts and Humanities Research by Morag Shiach and Tarek Virani. Palgrave Macmillan UK 2017
- Studies in Philosophical Realism in Art, Design and Education by Neil C. Brown. Springer 2017
- Handbook of Research on the Facilitation of Civic Engagement through Community Art by Leigh Hersey and Bryna Bobick, IGI Global. 2016
- Art as extraordinary science: A paradigm for the 21st Century. By Jenny Waller. Clink Street Publishing. 2016
Thanks to all colleagues who provided suggestions. Additional suggestions welcome for inclusion in future editions.